Search This Blog

Thursday 18 November 2010

Sausage Casserole


Sausage casserole....just the name makes you feel instantly more cheerful!

I was speaking on the phone to someone the other night when he mentioned he was having sausage casserole for dinner; it made me realise I haven't made this since I went veggie nearly 15 years ago! How could I have forgotten it? It used to be one of those weekday standby meals that I could prepare almost with my eyes shut; I decided it was high time it made a re-appearance.

OK, so I've dressed it up a little bit with a splash of red wine and some fresh thyme leaves, but it's still basically the one I used to make all those years ago, only now…..it's veggie!

6 Cauldron Lincolnshire Veggie Sausages
1 onion, thinly sliced
150gm chestnut mushrooms, quartered
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato paste
50ml red wine
100ml vegetable stock
1 tin mixed beans, drained and rinsed
1 yellow pepper, chopped into chunks
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves

Fry the onions and mushrooms in the olive oil until golden, add the sausages and fry until nicely brown on all sides then add all the other ingredients. Stir well, bring to the boil then simmer gently for 20 mins.

Serve with rice, potatoes, veg, crusty bread or whatever takes your fancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment