Search This Blog

Monday 29 November 2010

Tomato and Mozzarella Tart

I originally served this as part of a lunch in the summer - with a few buttered new potatoes and a mixed salad it was perfect. I’m posting it now because it occurred to me it could also be a handy thing to put out on a Christmas buffet table.

I made a similar thing a few weeks previous to this but, like the idiot I am, I forgot to take any pictures...duh! The earlier one had a bed of caramelised onions mixed with a spoonful of red onion marmalade, dotted with some crumbled goats cheese and a sprinkle of fresh thyme leaves. Like I said, no pictures, but you get the drift.

1 sheet of ready-rolled puff pastry
2 tbsp pesto
6 tomatoes, thinly sliced
150g chopped mozzarella
a few chopped green olives

Unroll the pastry and lay it on a large baking sheet; score it with a sharp knife about 2cms in from each edge and prick inside the scored edge with a fork to stop it puffing up in the oven. Bake at 200C for 10 minutes. If the middle does puff up just push it down while it's still warm. You now have a nice little box-shaped tart case.

Spread the base of the tart with the pesto then cover with the sliced tomatoes and the chunks of mozzarella. Sprinkle with the chopped olives then bake at 180C for 10-15 mins.

Cut into 6 or 8 pieces and serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment