Search This Blog

Wednesday 5 January 2011

Christmas Nut Roast

Just one more post about festive cooking (until next year!)

This isn’t the greatest picture of my Christmas Nut Roast but I’m sure you get the idea; I couldn't hang around taking pics because I wanted to dive in to my lunch! I made the most amazing gravy to go with it and believe me, I’ve tried more than a few recipes over the years. This one is by far the best; give it a go, you won’t be disappointed. I've put a link for it after the recipe.


Loaf mixture:
½ a large onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
200g whole mixed nuts
175g fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
75g mature cheddar, grated
200ml stock
1 egg, beaten
½ tsp Marmite
½ tsp dried oregano

Filling:
½ a large onion, finely chopped
100g finely chopped mushrooms
1 tbsp olive oil

Sauté half an onion in oil until golden. Grind the nuts in a processor, not too finely. Stir the Marmite into the hot stock and allow to cool. Combine all the dry loaf ingredients, add the stock, sautéed onion and beaten egg and mix well. The mixture should be fairly slack. Sauté the remaining half of the onion and the mushrooms together until golden. Line a 1lb loaf tin with baking parchment; put half the loaf mixture into the tin, cover with the onion and mushroom mixture and finish with the rest of the loaf mixture. Bake at 180C for 45 minutes, or until golden brown.

Serve with roast potatoes, vegetables of choice and veggie gravy. Also nice cold (if there’s any left!) with chutney or salad and it makes a killer sandwich with Dijon mustard and a pickled onion on the side!

Serves 4

http://www.cottagesmallholder.com/annas-famous-onion-gravy-recipe-257

No comments:

Post a Comment