Search This Blog

Sunday 20 February 2011

Potato, Onion and Cheese Frittata

This is a recipe I never thought I'd post because until six weeks ago I hadn’t eaten a recognisable egg in about 40 years!

There was just something about them that I couldn’t handle; I was fine if they were disguised in a quiche or a cake, but an egg that was quite clearly an egg was a no-no. I never really understood why, but that’s just the way I was. During all these years of not eating them I have quite happily used eggs as a cooking ingredient; I have also scrambled, fried, boiled and poached them and made numerous omelettes for others…but never for me. So, on December 31st I rather rashly made a New Year’s resolution to stop being such a wuss and at least try to eat eggs; other people I know have no problem with them so what was I faffing about at? Get a grip, woman!

Having decided that something not too recognisably eggy (!) was the best route to take, I made a mushroom omelette one evening with two of the organic free-range variety. Taking a deep breath, and telling myself sternly it was ‘just a quiche without the pastry’, I took a forkful and it was really rather good; in fact, I ate the entire thing!

Since then I haven’t looked back; true, I haven’t yet progressed to eating eggs boiled, fried or poached (they’re still a bit too eggy!) but I can now cook something that everyone else has been eating since Adam was a lad…Frittata. Potato, onion and cheese Frittata to be exact and, although I never thought to hear myself say this, it was delicious!

1 smallish red onion
1 smallish white onion
2 tbsp olive oil
200g of sliced cooked potato
4 large eggs
30g grated cheddar
ground black pepper

Peel and slice the onions and cook gently in the olive oil in a small frying pan until golden. Tip the potato into the pan and mix well with the onions. Lightly beat the eggs with a tablespoon of cold water and a couple of grinds of black pepper then pour into the frying pan, lower the heat and cook for 6-8 minutes until almost set. Turn the grill on; sprinkle the cheese onto the frittata then put under the grill until the top is set and golden.

Serves 4 with salad and a chunk of good bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment