Search This Blog

Tuesday 8 March 2011

Shrove Tuesday Pancakes

Its Shrove Tuesday today…Pancake day. I like the word ‘Shrove’ – it comes from ‘shrive’ meaning to repent and obtain absolution for one’s sins, apparently; not that I’ve ever done much in the way of sinning and, sadly, I’m probably a bit old for it now. If you happen to go along with all that repentance and absolution malarky, that’s fine by me, but it’s not my thing. However, I’m quite happy to jump on any passing bandwagon, particularly if it’s loaded up with food!

I had to forego my beloved porridge for breakfast this morning so that we could have pancakes instead; I’m always too full after dinner to have them for dessert. I know most people will be having the thin crêpe-like ones with lemon and sugar, but I have to say I'm not wild about them; I like something with a bit more oomph to it. Let’s just say that since discovering American-style pancakes I am a very happy bunny indeed.

Nigella's recipe is foolproof and guaranteed to work every time. Unfortunately though, as you can see, my pancakes are not beautifully circular and symmetrical like the sainted Nigella’s, but I think it just adds to their charm. Well, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it!

In a futile attempt to make these seem vaguely 'healthy' I served them with sliced bananas as well as copious amounts of butter and maple syrup. Yes, I know I’m deluding myself…but it keeps me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment