Search This Blog

Thursday 13 October 2011

Heston's Mince Pies

I do love a mince pie; I think they should be eaten all year round and not just for Christmas. The aroma of a warm mince pie instantly has the power to make everything seem a little better. I can’t wait to crack open a jar of mincemeat and get baking a bit nearer Christmas.

I saw a piece in an online newspaper today about Waitrose hoping to have the same success, this year, with Heston Blumenthal's Mince Pies as they had with his whole orange pudding, last year; so, like the fool I am, I bought some when I was out shopping. One thing in their favour is they are, at least, veggie.

Well, I warmed a couple up and we had them with a cup of coffee. I think underwhelmed would be the best way to describe our reaction; to be honest they were nothing special and Mr Simply Veg (bless his heart!) said the ones I make are better!

At £3.29 for six I’d expect them to come with a real Christmas tree attached not just a sachet of ‘pine sugar’ that does not, by any stretch of the imagination, make the house smell ‘pine-scented’. A complete gimmick, and pointless, if you ask me.

If you happen to have more money than sense then buy some but, if not, stick with whatever you usually have. Chances are, they’ll be better than Heston’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment